Tuesday, 24 November 2015

Variations on a theme

Hello!

Hope you are all crafting like crazy - and Happy Thanksgiving which is coming up shortly!

So I wanted to do another ornament for Christmas .... it is a triptych and its proper sparkly although you cannot tell from these photos.

Basically its a variation on the theme of the books, microscope slides and the "its ornamental" from the previous page and the tutorials page.

 I took 3 of the flat 6x4 canvases and covered with scrapbook paper but encasing kebab sticks for the hinges (see the book tutorial on the tutorials page) - then used blue organza ribbon to secure the hinges.
 Texture past with glitter, inking using Viva Decor Inka Gold in blues - then I die cut some leaves from some old music paper and also some coffee filters.  Gesso the filters onto the paper, then when dry water down some Inka Gold and let it run over the filter - obviously it will soak it up and you can get some nice effects.

When they are dry - cut out a circle from some card and glue them on to resemble Poisettias (the thing to remember is that a Poinsettia flower is the same shape as the leaf).
 I used my Steam Dust Studios microscope images and put them together as per the slide tutorial - then instead of using kitchen foil, I used Indigo Blu Mega Flakes on my double sided tape for the edges. (Turned out brilliant!)
Loads of die cuts, ribbons, buttons, lace, stickles, Viva Decor paper and glitter pens later.....I got my lovely triptych!

I am entering this into......

Anything But Cute Challenge Blog for "Its Ornamental"


Country View Challenge Blog for "The colour Blue"

Mixed Media Monthly for "Texture"


Mixed Media World for "Anything Goes"


Thank you for visiting!




12 comments:

Team Clark said...

WOW! This is so cool! Love the idea to make a triptych from canvas boards! Cool, and these colors and layers are all perfect for it!

Sue said...

This is beautiful, so much work but well worth it! I love those icy die cuts and the general Wintery feel. Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Country View Crafts. Sue xx

Pamellia Johnson said...

Wow Cathryn, you always put so much work and TLC into your projects and it always pays off in spades!! This is just gorgeous!! I love the blue hues with all the white and metallic accents, it's such a frosty colour palette and my fav for this time of year! Icy and gorgeous!! The images are fabulous and the snowflakes are the perfect way to embellish!!

Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'It's Ornamental' challenge, it's always a pleasure to see your work! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

Samra Leshinski said...

Wonderful display!
Thank you so very much for joining our It's Ornamental challenge at Anything But Cute!

Samra DT
Paper Talk with Samra

Neet said...

This is a beautiful creation! Love the ideas you have posted - would never have thought of kebab sticks for the hinges or the flakes for the edges on the glass. Brilliant!
The churches on my blog are a Spellbinders die I got from Oyster Stamps. Would offer to cut you some but to be honest they take so long as there is only one window die in the pack and you need six of the large windows. As I did them for my club make and take (16 of them) I am all fed up and now I have to make cards for the nine I made for myself. Oh, woe is me.

Hope you are well, love to mum and auntie.
& You of course
Hugs, Neet xx

Astrid Maclean said...

This is wonderful! I absolutely love what you did here, what a great idea, love your trio of canvasses - thanks so much for adding it to our Texture challenge challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

MakaArt said...

Hi Cathryn! Your book is really wonderful! Amazing work! Maria ❤

Pawsitively Creative said...

Wowzers! Where to begin....Gorgeous colors and I bet this sparkles nicely IRL. Wonderful techniques used and oh so amazing results. Those poinsettias are awesome sauce. What an interesting way to incorporate those kebab sticks into this triptych! Lovely decoration for your home and so holly golly!

Thanks for joining in our "It's Ornamental" challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugz. ~Niki DT

Sara Barker said...

Oh, Cathryn, can you hear my oohs and aahhhs over that glittery, texture paste-y background! That really caught my eye, and then you added that cool border on your microscope slides that is the icing on the cake! Beautiful work! Thank you for joining our It's Ornamental challenge at Anything But Cute with another beauty! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

Donna B. said...

Beautiful project with great texture! Thanks for playing at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Rachel said...

what a cool idea and wonderful finished project! hope you're putting it on display! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Pamellia Johnson said...

Cathryn, Congratulations on your Honourable Mention at Anything But Cute!! Your project is just fantastic! Thanks for all your support, don't forget to drop in and pick up your winner's badge! hugs Pamellia DT :)