Tuesday, 27 October 2015

Time Flies for Indigo Blu

Hello!

We have put the clocks back here in the UK, and its turned really cold, but we still have raspberries on the canes and now the Plum tree is in blossom - so the plant world is all topsy turvy!

The Indigo Blu Challenge this month is Time Flies which I found to be hugely inspirational - and in my mind I knew exactly what I wanted to do......

The picture is my Mum!  It was taken in 1932 and she was (and is) beautiful!!   Anyone who knows me - has met "me Mum" and she is a legend - I would be lost without her!

I LOVE this photograph, I love the colour tinting, the dress, the tatty old rabbit she is holding and Mums cute little face - its been ripped so its the actual shape.  

Heres how it came about.......................

 The box frame is from PDA Woodward, and its a steal at £2.55 (bet they put the price up now!), the cardboard was around a book from Amazon, I discarded the bamboo pot cos it wasnt right, the pictures are photocopies of the originals and I was not sure at this stage which one to use.
 Sprayed the cardboard Gold, and cut out loads of cogs.   Got some foamboard and cut out the shape of the pictures, to be safe I sprayed the pictures with fixative (always have this because its SO useful), painted the frame White, and found some Wendy Vecchi bits and sprayed them gold.

I knew I wanted the frame simple, but it needed somethings else....hence the WV bits.   The foamboard gave the depth I had in mind, and then I wanted loads and loads of cogs. I glued the pictures to the foamboard (prior to this I painted the edges of the board black).

I backed the frame with some sepia coloured scrapbook paper and then layered the cogs - but it still looked "flat".  It didnt pop at all........
 So I added some Viva Decor Inka Gold in various colours and also added it to the WV bits, and  the Tim Holtz clock die which was cut from the same paper which backed the frame, but the underside is displayed.

Now it "popped" - to finish it off I added two butterflies from the Indigo Blu "Grand Tour II" set along with the word Dream.


 Then sanded the frame for a Shabby Chic look - which was a bit stupid because I should have done that first......

 and glued on the WV bits (the glues not dry thats why you can see the white bits) but I wanted to get this on today!


Thank you for visiting, and taking the time to comment - it really is so lovely to read them.   Why not take part in the challenge - its fun and friendly and great to see just how talented everyone is!

12 comments:

Florence said...

Fabulous project and great post Cath. Lovely tribute.
Turned really cold here now. Just lit the wood burner and got out the thick socks!!
Take care,
Hugs, Flo x

Kay Molyneux said...

Lovely treatment of your Mum's photo! Thank you for joining in the IndigoBlu Challenge Blog. Kay x

Dorothy Donna Parker said...

Very special. You have created a treasure. Love the soft colours and all the details. hugs, Donna

Kris said...

Hi Cathryn, how are you! I love that photo, a real treasure to hold on to. And all those embellishments around it are just a treat to the eye. Top-notch colour choices too! Gorgeous!!!

Gez Butterworth said...

So pretty. What a wonderful keepsake.
Thank you for joining the IndigoBlu October challenge. Good luck for the draw. Gez

Pawsitively Creative said...

Spectacular and your mum is adorable! What a treasure to be able to make a keepsake out of and remember such a special lady! Your work with the cogs is genius and adds such interest. Love the stamps and all the highlights. Awesome sauce! ~Niki

Gio said...

This is so lovely! Amazing altering. Thank you for joining us at the IndigoBlu challenge :-)

Neet said...

What a lovely tribute to your lovely mum (yes, I have met her - and aunty too). Love how you used the photograph even though it was torn and not a full rectangle - great with the addition of the leaves and I do like the colours you chose to compliment it.
Thanks for the offer, will be in touch - ooh you are a love.
Hugs, Neet xx

Wenda said...

Great project, I love it. Thanks for joining us at the IndigoBlu challenge.

Hugs Wenda

rachel said...

this is beautiful - so much detail and great use of those butterflies! Thanks for joining the indigo blu challenge and good luck xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Such a beautiful work of art! Love the sweet image and all the butterflies!

Kris said...

Congrats for coming Top 3!!!! Well deserved!;)